Are you trying to cut your materials down to shape? If you are, and if you’ve used anything other than a saw horse, you know that a solid, stable and reliable foundation is a must. Otherwise, it will mess up your cut and ruin your materials.
Although you could make a saw horse yourself, homemade wooden saw horses are plagued with issues. Mainly, how easily it breaks down and gets damaged. Besides, the best saw horses come with a plethora of features that make your job much easier.
However, where can you start? What kind of saw horses are genuinely good, and which ones aren’t worth your money? Keeping all that in mind, we reviewed countless options to discover the best your money can buy. As such, we put together a list of the top 7 saw horses out there in the market as of 2020.
In case you’re still unsure which one to get, we’ve put together an understandable buying guide. The FAQ section should also answer all the questions you may have left after going through the article. Nevertheless, let’s not stall any further and get down to the reviews.
Best Saw Horses Review
With rigorous research, we can confidently say we’ve found 7 of the best cutting support systems the world has seen. However, keep in mind that one isn’t inherently better than another. Each focus on unique aspects that differentiates them. So, let’s see these 7 saw horses and what they are.
1. WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Worktable and Sawhorse
Since you’re buying a sawhorse, you should get something that adds special features to enhance your cutting experience. This unit from Workx does exactly that. It’s not just a simple sawhorse, but something much more. The Pegasus adds multiple additional features to make it worth your money.
The main factor is its spectacular versatility. Static sawhorses are difficult to carry. They are usually large in size and they have to be to support more weight. This model is different. In a matter of seconds, you can fold it up into an easy to carry tool which you can take anywhere. It also makes storage much easier as well.
Foldability is often discouraging to some. Many people fear that they could fold in on themselves while they’re working, ruining your project in the process. However, that isn’t a concern when it comes to the Pegasus. It has options that let you lock it onto place. This makes them as sturdy as a static un-foldable model with none of the drawbacks.
What makes this unit extra special is that it isn’t just a sturdy sawhorse. It’s also an excellent worktable. The sides of the support system can be moved to expand itself into a worktable. It comes with multiple clamps that lock your materials in place to make sure that your materials stay in place no matter what.
Of course, the standard metric of a hood sawhorse is its weight capacity. So, with a weight capacity of a thousand pounds, we can comfortably say it’s more than enough for any kind of project you dish out.
You’ll just end up puzzled how it can manage so much weight while just weighing 30 pounds. It is testament to the excellent design and engineering on Workx’s part and why we must recommend it.
- Sawhorse supports up to 1,000 pounds of weight
- Worktable supports up to 300 pounds of weight
- Foldable for added versatility
- Just 5-inch depth while it is folded
- Works both as a sawhorse and worktable and can transitions between the two quickly
- Legs are lockable
- 18-inch clamping width
- 725 square inch tabletop has two quick clamps and four clamp dogs
- Total of 30 pounds of weight
- High weight capacity
- Portable and versatile due to folding feature
- Works as both an excellent worktable and sawhorse alternatingly
- Comes with clamps to keep materials locked in place
- Worktable gives plenty of space for your projects
- It is easy to store
- Lower shelf lacks some quality
- Surface isn’t entirely flat
2. AmazonBasics Folding Sawhorse – Set of 2, 900 Pound Capacity
Lightweight, durable and capable. Those are the adjectives that perfectly describe this superb AmazonBasics model. It’s a perfect choice for someone who doesn’t need anything brimming with features. As a result, it makes sure to do the things that make a Sawhorse so important better than anything else.
First is its superb stability. It manages to maintain a stable posture even though it is a foldable model. This is because it uses an excellent rubber-based design on the bottom of its legs. These give it a non-slip feature; making them still no matter how rough you work.
Even then, if you’re worried it still might accidentally fold, it has a lock feature. So, once you set up the tool, it won’t even falter. It will handle whatever material you through at it with grace.
Moreover, there are several additions that increase its utility. Each leg has one hook for you to hand your tools. This lets you keep your items close to your hands. So, once you start working, you don’t have to run around to get your tools.
Moreover, you can also hang wires and other items close-by while you’re working. As such, you have a ton of utility in a low cost, yet excellent sawhorse such as this. So, even without much additional features, you can get a lot of unique features like the previous model, this AmazonBasics unit is a superb choice.
- A set of 2 sawhorses in one buy
- Comes fully set up, so no need to assemble
- Both folds flatly to make it easier to store
- Hooks on the side to carry cables
- 900 pounds capacity
- Locking braces to prevent accidentally folding
- Legs do not slip due to rubber design
- Superior stability
- Total weight of just 10 pounds
- Simple, easy to set up and to use
- Lightweight for added portability
- Folds easily for convenient storing
- Impressive 900-pound capacity
- Side hooks help you keep your tools close
- Can’t handle much impact, so don’t abruptly drop your materials onto them
3. 2x4basics 90196 Custom Pro Brackets Sawhorse – 2 Pack
Like we mentioned earlier, you can make your own sawhorse. However, homemade units lack the stability and capacity you need for larger projects. So, do you have to change your entire approach and get a heavy-duty metal set? Now, you don’t.
Save your money and get a 2x4basics sawhorse brackets. It gives the high durability at a much lower cost. Simply, install these onto your lumber and give it the support that it needs. It offers so much strength and durability, that the set gives a combined capacity of almost 2,000 pounds, more than enough for any kind of heavy projects.
Since these are just the brackets, it gives you the freedom to choose the length of the lumber. So, if you wanted to, you could make a really long sawhorse instead. As long as the lumber you use is 2×4.
The brackets don’t restrict you to just one surface. Right under the main one, there is a second shelf. It’s a convenient add-on that lets you keep your materials or tools close but.
You could use it to keep your work materials and grab them whenever you need. It’s also useful to compare, as you can use the bottom shelves keep wood that acts as a reference.
Finally, we have to respect the included stabilizing feet. They are the perfect dimensions to comfortably take a straight piece of lumber and turn that into proper feet. No need to cut, just screw them on. All the while, it does an excellent job of keeping your workspace stable.
- Drastically improves sawhorse stability
- Both provides a total of 900 kilograms capacity (That’s almost 2,000 pounds)
- Easy to set up with just a screwdriver
- You can install it on longer lengths of wood
- Provides an additional shelf below the main surface for storage
- Has a total of 4 brackets and 8 stabilizing feet; enough to make 2 sets
- Does not include the required lumber
- Adds considerable stability
- High capacity for a cheap price
- Easy to assemble
- Fits any 2×4 lumber
- Brackets are made from heavy-duty structural resin
- Drastically increases standard weight capacity
- You’ll have to manage the lumber yourself
4. Metabo HPT 115445M Portable Folding Sawhorses, Heavy Duty Stand
When on a budget, you can’t afford to spend too much money on multiple heavy-duty sawhorse and sawbucks. Nevertheless, some projects demand that you have them. So, Metabo HTP made sure to create the best value-for-money Sawhorse set out there.
For a small amount, you’re getting a pair of sawhorses and 2 pairs of saw bucks. This allows you to expand the scope of your projects, since you have more work surfaces. In addition, it has about 1,200 pounds carrying capacity despite its plastic build.
Yes, usually plastic isn’t all that reliable when it comes to acting as construction work-surfaces. That is usually because they’re low quality plastic that aren’t able to withstand the kind of pressure these works really needs. That’s where the 115445M does things differently.
It opts for heavy duty plastic that is capable of withstanding any kind of workload, giving you a combined total of 1,200 pounds weight capacity. However, it does even more to offer convenience.
For starters, it has hooks built onto its sides. These are handy for cable management, mitigating any potential tripping hazards in the process. You can also use these hooks to keep your hangable tools. However, what can you do if you want to keep your tools close?
Each sawhorse has a shelf beneath it. You can keep all of your tools there and grab them whenever you need to. Furthermore, you can even fold the horses when you’re done with them. As such, it’s easy to store and put away as well.
- High-tier Plastic build
- The set has a total of 1,200 pounds capacity
- Each set has 2 sawhorses and 4 saw bucks
- Built in hooks on each side to hang tools or cables
- Lightweight; weighing in at about 11 pounds
- Comes fully assembled
- The sawbucks are the perfect design to support 2×4 lumber
- A lot of value for very little money
- Hooks on the sides add a consider amount of convenience
- Foldable for easy storage
- High 1,200-pound capacity
- Weighs just 11 pounds in total
- Lightweight build means they’re easy to tip over
5. DEWALT Miter Saw Stand, Heavy Duty (DWX725)
If you’ve ever research construction tools, you’re bound to run into Dewalt eventually. That’s because they are considered one of the most consistently excellent manufacturers of construction tools. Although they’re most well-known for their power tools, their legacy doesn’t end there.
They have constantly pushed out great sawhorses, and the Milter heavy-duty saw stand has left a significant mark on us. Its aluminum build is greater than most of its competitors. Despite how light it is, it offers incredible durability; it is able to withstand pretty much any kind of trauma without bending.
Instead of bending, you can fold it. You can tuck in each leg underneath the main surface to eventually become a long rectangular briefcase. With that, it is considerably more portable. This Miter Saw Stand is also easy to maintain as well since you barely have to put in any effort when you unfold.
That doesn’t mean they fold up willy-nilly. It uses a complex lock and lever system that is both easy to use and secure. Only your deliberate actions can fold the stand, eliminating any chance of accidents.
Each of these horses can handle about 1,000 pounds apiece. With extreme durability to boot, it can handle impact. This generally means that it can withstand damage. As such, it’ll be a part of your workshop for many years to come.
- High-grade aluminum build that is both light and durable
- Weighs just 15.4 pounds
- Each unit can handle about 1,000 pounds
- Can be folded extensively for extreme convenience and portability
- Legs are locked into place with lock levers
- Strong legs provide extensive support
- Easy to fold and set-up
- High-grade aluminum build means it can withstand anything
- Easy folding and setting bolsters convenience
- Lightweight when compared to durability
- Comes with smart levers to prevent accidental folds
- It’s comparatively expensive and you only get one per purchase
6. Toughbuilt Sawhorse Adjustable up to 4 x 4 Size Support Arms 1300 LB Capacity
We’ve mentioned how some saw horses come with an exorbitant number of features that put them on a playing field of its own. This Toughbuilt sawhorse is one such unit that caught our interests. So, what does this offer that makes it any different?
Well, let’s start off with its support arms. There are a bunch of extendable arms strategically located all around the body. These are mainly on each sides of the legs and the main surface. Once you extend them, you can adjust the angle of your materials.
That’s not all, this allows you to work with materials of any size. Just like that, you have the ultimate versatile tool. That’s made even better with its incredible material cutting and support pegs for easy, accurate and smooth cutting.
A lot of us have issues that sawhorses generally have a restricted height. Nevertheless, we have to deal with that inconvenience. However, the Toughbuilt model is one of the few stands that lets you adjust its leg height. As such, you can adjust the height to exactly how much you need.
You shouldn’t be surprised when we say that this Toughbuilt model is more than just tough. It has an 100% steel construction for unparalleled durability and capacity. Each unit can handle a whopping 1,300 pounds. With a set of two, you can work on 2,600 pounds in total.
- Leg heights are adjustable
- Support arms to angle your materials however you want
- Each set includes 2 sawhorses
- Each unit has a 1,300-pounds capacity (with a total of 2,600 pounds per pair)
- Surfaces are both powder-coated and zinc-plated
- An added handle for easy carrying
- Pivoting feet for ultimate stability
- Comes with Cutting brackets
- Constructed with 100% steel
- Can handle any sized wood
- High grade cutting experience
- Superb durability
- Extendable arms to freely adjust angles
- Two horses in each set
- Easy to fold and carry with a convenient handle
- Quite heavy, making it hard to set up
7. Bora Portamate PM-3300T Steel Folding Sawhorses – Set of 2 Heavy Duty Stands – Pre-Assembled
For our last entry, we’re going to offer something simple, yet excellent in what it offers. It doesn’t have height adjustability like the last entry, but it doesn’t have to. Because the Portamate’s job is to be a portable horse you can comfortably take anywhere.
As such, it’s folds better than anything we’ve ever seen. It’s incredibly compact and becomes simple to fold. However, you might think that it might fold unintentionally, but it doesn’t.
That is because of its smart quick lock pin system. This keeps the legs in place whenever you need it to while also bending easily when it’s time to pack it up. So, it’s simple to keep with you at all times and set up.
Another point to note, is that these horses are also considerably durable. It is powerful due to its strong steel build. A lot of steel builds have a concern where they might get rusted if you use them without protection.
However, Bora thought ahead and used reliable coating that protects it from rust. So, you don’t need to add extra protections for no reason. It’s easy to set up, it’s easy to put away and you don’t need to add extra protection and just use it bareback. As such, it has unbeatable convenience.
- Heavy-duty for high capacity and durability
- Preassembled unit saves time
- Easy to fold and carry from place to place
- Rust resistant coating
- Two units per set
- Total capacity of 1,000 pounds
- Uses a reliable spring-loaded quick lock pin
- Durable steel build
- Rust resistant coating
- Highly compact and easy to fold
- Lock system prevents any kind of error
- Preassembled build saves considerable amount of time
- Legs need to stay wide apart for stability
Saw Horses Buying Guide
Now that you’re introduced to the different options, let’s talk about the things you need to know before you buy your sawhorse.
First to note is the typing. These structures are of different kinds of kinds. These are usually, plastic, wood and metal.
Plastic is usually light and cheap. They’re also considerably durable considering their type. However, their lightweight makes them easier to tip over. They’re capacity is also relative to the quality of plastic.
Wood is the traditional option. These have impressive capacity and stays extremely sturdy. However, they’re also easy to damage. If you’re working with power tools and saws, it’s easy to accidentally cut up your bench.
Metal is expensive but extremely sturdy. They don’t get damaged as easily since power tools and saws can’t cut them that easily. However, they’re also heavier and more expensive as a result.
If portability is important to you, you need to keep weight and foldability in mind. A proper foldable saw horse is much more portable that large stiff one. Even if they’re lighter. Nevertheless, the best option is a light and foldable horse with a handle for easy carrying.
Unless you’re looking for a temporary tool, you’ll want a sawhorse that will last you for a long time. Metal horses are more suitable for this category since they don’t get damaged easily. However, plastic and wood are still suitable provided they’re good quality.
Weight capacity is an integral part of a sawhorse. The more it can handle, the better it is. Of course, with higher capacity, you’ll be need to pay more as well. So, you can base the required capacity based on the most demanding project you plan on doing.
Capacity is pointless if your sawhorse can’t stay stable. As such, you need to make sure that they stay completely still while you work, no matter what. If they don’t give you right level, then you’re essentially pointless as it can mess up your cuts. So, make sure whatever you get has perfect stability no matter what.
Extra characteristics might drive up the price slightly, but that doesn’t mean you should ignore them. In fact, they might make the sawhorse considerably better than you’d first imagine.
So, look for features like side hooks that can keep your cables managed or extendable hands that can let you make cuts at an angle. It’ll make using these tools much more convenient. So, if you’re looking for a better work environment, convenience and stress-free work, then consider the supplementary features carefully and go for them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Do I always need 2 sawhorses?
Ans: Most of the options come in a pair, but some don’t. That doesn’t mean that you can’t work with a single sawhorse. However, it does limit you if you’re working with large materials.
Q: What do I do if the sawhorse doesn’t seem level?
Ans: It might be possible that the surface you placed it on isn’t properly leveled. If that isn’t the case, try spreading the legs apart wider.
Q: Is plastic viable if they tip over?
Ans: Lightweight sawhorses can tip over, but that’s only when applied pressure horizontally. Moreover, once you’ve placed your materials on top of them, the added weight means they won’t tip over anymore. So, it’s only ever a slight annoyance when setting up.
Q: How much capacity should I focus on?
Ans: You don’t always need 2,000-poud supported sawhorses. Just go for something that can support your most demanding project.
That was a long read, but we’ve finally reached the end. With all that info, you should know exactly what kind of sawhorse you should go for.
With that, we know you can pick out the best saw horses for your plans. So, go through your options carefully, and choose the one you know will help you bring your masterpieces to life!